Thursday, December 27, 2012

Special Today! Guest Blogger Lindsey Davis, an arts blogger in New York, also working as editor for Artsia.


"Artworks online and the stories behind them" by Lindsey Davis


Recently a new art gallery popped up online, seemingly just one among the masses. Artsia represents works by more than 500 artists from around the world, and each one has been individually vetted and evaluated by a team of international curators, resulting in thousands of professionally created works that you can scroll through endlessly online. We’re hoping this level of curation will set us apart, and our blog component lets you get to know the artists and the stories behind the artworks. Below you’ll find a snapshot of the kinds of abstract works we showcase, and the wonderfully talented artists who brought them to life:



Chin Yuen’s acrylic painting “Susurrus” is a rainbow dance of shapes, rows of circles in different rows of color - first blue then orange, then black then white. Chin’s artist statement reads, “For the last nine years, I have been working on several bodies of abstract paintings. I want to enjoy expressing myself with a non-literal language, which allows me to express movements, beauty, and forces through a unique combination of vibrant colours, textures, and visual inventions. The process is intuitive, sensual, and analytical—a synthesis of different experiences and techniques that offers constant stimulations. I cannot imagine my life without this wonderfully rewarding gift of self-expression, and I aim to share it with others as long as I can.”


Marie Kazalia’s “Rainbow X” is an acrylic work with dripping lines of color moving vertically across the stretched canvas. This work’s “About This Piece” section reads, “The artist worked on this painting daily over a one month period. The ground layer of the canvas is smooth and thin and covered with a pattern of acrylic image transfers. The middle layer is a large thick X of poured paint over which a layers of surface poured paint runs built up in a texture pattern.”


Niamh Collins’ oil on canvas piece “Three Mats” features two cups laid out 2-dimensionally on a table, with three orange flower designs balancing out the composition down the left side. We asked for the artist’s comment on this piece, to which she responded, “The three mats of the title were made by using a printing technique, with three lace table mats, or doilies, which I’d bought in a charity shop. They were very old-fashioned, and not very useful, but they fascinated me, and I wanted to find some way of using them to make something beautiful, but new. To create these effects, I simply lay the material down on the wet paint, then lift it off. Then I paint around, or rub off some of the paint, to create the desired result. I used some old trousers to make the marks in the middle blue/yellow areas, and the right hand orange strip was made with an old tea-towel. I have been using textiles and clothing to make unexpected shapes for some years now, and it never fails to amaze me what turns up. I am always surprised by how much detail comes out, and I like the way using these materials creates a hint of human presences in otherwise abstract paintings. It is the simplicity in this painting which makes it work – sometimes I work too much on a painting, and it gets too complicated. It’s all about the art of knowing when to stop!”

See more works and the stories behind them at Artsia.com.
I’m Lindsey Davis, an arts blogger in New York, also working as editor for Artsia.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just for the record - I'm a 'she' not a 'he'. Happy New Year! Niamh

Marie Kazalia said...


Thanks Lindsey and Sue

I shared this article on my blog--here is the direct link:
http://artistmarketingresources.com/2013/01/03/arts-blogger-in-new-york-features-paintings-by-3-artists/

Best wishes in 2013!

Drawing classes said...

That's incredible ... the write up is mind blowing and shares amazing content..... Thank you !!